While you're probably familiar with "e-learning", you may not know as much about Adaptive eLearning. What's so important about Adaptive eLearning? This is personalized instruction that adapts to and builds upon the employee's existing knowledge. It by-passes redundant (and boring) review periods found in most e-learning courses that are designed for the masses.
The goal of any great training program is to engage the learner and to teach them things they don't know by linking it to things they do know.
Adaptive eLearning is based on discoveries in the last 10 plus years of cognitive neuro-science. It recognizes that every person is unique, has had different experiences, and therefore different levels of knowledge on various topics. Instead of trying to teach everyone the same content, Adaptive eLearning takes advantage of this disparity in two distinct ways:
- It tests a person's level of knowledge, and, more importantly, their confidence in that knowledge. By doing so, it recognizes each person's knowledge and how comfortable they are with it.
- IF a person knows the knowledge and is confident in that knowledge: no further training in this area is required.
The second point highlights the question, why spend time training and boring people on stuff they know? They should be trained on stuff they don't know! The graph below is illuminating. Many people are confident in their knowledge but may not be competent or proficient in that subject. The green lines indicate a person's knowledge level, whereas the red lines indicate missing knowledge areas. The yellow lines indicate their confidence in that knowledge area. As you can see: many people may be confident in their knowledge, but may not actually be competent.
Adaptive eLearning recognizes this disparity and responds appropriately to each person by training the individual learner exactly what they need to know!
The Benefits of Adaptive eLearning:
For Your Business
- Improved employee productivity
- Higher employee engagement
- Measurable capability and capacity (Lower unconscious incompetence), see chart above.
For the Learner:
- Faster time to proficiency
- Eliminate frustration of unnecessary training
- High self-awareness of strengths and development areas
- Enhanced and personalized learning experience
For the Training and/or Human Resources Department:
- Measurable outcomes
- Real-time quality feedback
- Real-time content updates
- Improved teaching effectiveness
- Elimination of the "one-size-fits-none"
Merit Career Development has partnered with the leader in adaptive eLearning, Area 9, to deliver world-class training in the most efficient manner possible and provide our clients with more delivery options than ever. For more information, contact Merit Career Development today. We'll help you achieve the best training program you've ever had, with a lower expense and higher learning retention rate. Contact Merit Career Development today to learn more.