Merit Career Development > Courses > Project Management Overview with Simulation
Project Management Overview with Simulation
4.26 View Feedback
This workshop covers the full complement of sub-plans, methods and procedures that span the typical project life-cycle
from initiation to project close. It is designed to give the participant the skills and tools to consistently be an effective project
manager. Participants will examine the role of the project manager and their involvement in managing the life-cycle of a
project through defining task, time management, scheduling, and resource allocation. Each of the ten PMI Knowledge Areas
will be covered in the modules that will be presented to the workshop participants.
- Describe project planning concepts
- Identify and assess project requirements
- Create a work breakdown structure
- Perform stakeholder analysis
- Develop a communication plan
- Employ risk analysis techniques
- Apply quality management techniques
- Discuss project metrics
- Manage project execution and control
- Identfiy project close procedures
- Explain project management concepts and terminology
- Identify project management tools and techniques to assist in planning and managing projects
- Evaluate project progress and recommend corrective actions
- Launch and manage a project
- Update a Project Plan after the project begins
Topics & Content
- Project Management Foundations: The Project Management Process, Work Breakdown Structure, Network Diagrams and the Critical Path
- Schedule Development
- Resource allocation
- Communication Planning
- Stakeholder Analysis
- Risk Planning and Management
- Risk Identification Techniques
- Requirements Management
- Project Management Simulation
- Quality planning
- Project execution, delivery and control
- Project Close
- Lessons Learned
- SimulTrain® Project Management Simulator
Course Code: PM105
Duration: 3 days
Targeted Audience: Novice project managers and anyone interested in PM
- CBRN - 21 CEU(s)
- OPM - 21 CLP(s)
- PMI - 21 PDU(s)
- SHRM - 21 PDC(s)
What parts of the workshop were most valuable and/or beneficial to you?
Hands on-approach with tasks and simulation
I think the importance of planning & communication, also team management
Tools, Work Breakdown Structure
3 point and risk register
All of it!
WBS, Scope,Gantt chart (Templates, tools, etc..)
E-learning concerning critical paths.
E-learning gives a very solid background
The standardized structure/process in which projects are managed.
The cost variance information
I am not sure that I will use a large majority of the pieces due to my current position but the information was very helpful for the smaller projects I manage daily as an overall picture.
What improvements should be made to the workshop?
The SimulTrain was fairly confusing at the start. Maybe if there is a longer period to familiarize or a description at the start?
Seating arrangement. Hard to see screen
Day 1 was long and a lot of material - understand has to be - just was long
The elearning tool is very boring
Check IT prior to class?
The e-learning pre-work was difficult to follow at times, and unclear in some situations.
Not much room for experience sharing about our own projects. Should share correct answers after each exercise.
Time lapse from failure to confirm operation of simulation
Need to get from Constellium the standard templates and tools.
Clearer explanations and instructions for exercises
The e-learning/pre-course work is very long and I did not take much from it. Too much time to invest, with still carrying on work activities.
Day 1 seemed to progress very slowly
Contact us to find out when and where the course(s) you are interested in are being offered.